Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Jen's Reading

The Article can be found here: 

 What are your political concerns? Is there anything happening in the world beyond your self, that still effects you directly? Does this come into your work? I have personal political concerns, but would rather not publish them. However, they do indirectly influence my work. 

  What insights should artists provide? Do you agree that poets(artists) are "uniquely suited" to "speak publicly and morally about human aspirations"? I think they are uniquely suited but in the same way that a baker or construction worker is uniquely suited, artists just have another language to discuss them in. 

 What does it mean to be politically active?politically- Of, relating to, or dealing with the structure or affairs of government, politics, or the state. action- something done (usually as opposed to something said)
I do consider something said leading to something done to be politically active. 

 Are you able to relate to the work that I've made this year? What work? Do you relate it to any other artists or movements? I relate to your thought process in what you are making, especially with your new york times drawings and your chalk board piece, but although I see the poetry in the final piece I do not tend to relate to the final piece. I think you are interested in some of the same things that those indulged with automatic writing and see your work in similar ways that I see Christopher Wool's work. 

 What do you think would make my work better? I think that you would benefit from trying very ambitious projects and from self evaluation, especially in regards to what it is that you are ultimately concerned with. 

7. Do you think some of my work can be political, even if I don't say it is, or take a specific position? Is this an effective way of discussing work? Yes, there are political threads in your work, it is something that as a viewer you can see without needing explanation from you the artist. 

8. Does my work provide any insight? Technically, yes, especially in the way you arrange your work. But it is conceptually on the fence, I do not get strong convictions from your work, but don't know that I would want to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment