Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Response to Shellie's Article

http://books.google.com/books?id=pn2BMESshtAC&pg=PA91&lpg=PA91&dq=over+intellectualized+art&source=bl&ots=Wlfs9z9jSd&sig=H2ROJfP4a-PgGGLVgLFTopUf8z8&hl=en&ei=bwF5TfSrK4Xp0gG1kZ3sAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDYQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

The like above will take you to the entire book. I am asking that you read chapter 6. That is page 89-100 its pretty short and entertaining. Hope you all enjoy. Here are the questions. let me know if you have any questions or have trouble with the link 

Chapter 6 From the Book “Woody Allen and philosophy”

Woody on Aesthetic Appreciation p. 89-100

Questions:

1. After reading this article analyzing Woody’s work do you feel like his movies mock how contemporary art classes approach talking about art? Why? I think that he is mocking the way that people add content to work when it is not there, they are reading into work as though there everything needs interpretation and everything is a symbol. 

2. Do you ever feel surrounded by people that you need to impress/fake being overly excited or emotional about your work? If you do ever fake these emotions, why? The excitement in my work is more vivid when I am talking about it with colleagues, but that is the extent of it. My excitement level has more to do with me than with the viewer. 

3. Would you say you art leans more towards needing emotional or intellectual appreciation? Does this relate to the aesthetics? I would say more to the intellectual side, this directly relates to my process. I am not looking for an emotional reaction in the majority of my work. 

4. Do you care about how your work looks while your creating it? Do you ever step back and move something around just because it looks bad? Does the work become less intellectual if this happens? Explain. The aesthetics play more into the final editing stages of my work, and are there to reinforce/highlight the functionality of the art object. 

5. When you view my art do you have any intellectual response? If not does this mean my work has no aesthetic value based on what the chapter requires for a meaningful aesthetic response. I have an intellectual response but it is more to do with the subtle details that arise within the work. 

6. Where is your fulcrum between intellect and emotion when creating your work on a scale of 1-10. 1 leaning more towards intellect and 10 being more towards emotion. Where is mine? I would say you are a 7 and I am a 3. 

7. Why do you think I tend to reject intellectualizing art? I think that you have an emotional response initially and that is why you tend not to try and read something that is not present in the work. 

8. I would consider my work to be relaxing to the viewer. Do you agree/why? I agree, your images come from a relaxing environment and this is carried over in your practice and development of your work. The delicate and rhythmic nature of working in the print studio is parallel with paddling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment