Monday, February 21, 2011

Response to Jeremy's Article and Movie:

Jeremy Fisher
The Nature of Existance (2010)
Synopsis: After exploring the phenomenon of TREKKIES, filmmaker Roger Nygard takes on The Nature of Existence. As he roams the globe to the source of each of the world's philosophies, religions, and belief systems, Nygard interviews spiritual leaders, scholars, scientists, artists, pizza chefs, and others who have influenced, inspired, or freaked out humanity.
Here's the link to a streaming copy of the movie:
to play movie: press the big red button (it will open up a pop up ad window), close the pop up, then press the big green button and enjoy!
And here is a supplemental text about Jean-Paul Sartre's analysis of human experience and death

Questions about the reading and movie:
Does the premise of condensing hundreds of religions and philosophies into one 2 hour-long documentary seem ill-serving to the history and magnitude of the subject matter? I don't think it is ill-serving, but it is definitely not all that is needed to understand the magnitude of the subject. 
Do you consider your religious or non-religious beliefs before creating art? No
Sartre's understanding of life is that it reflects the experience of one's existence.  How does your artwork reflect the experience of your existence? In everything that you do, art included, you are ultimately responding to the cumulation of experiences that you have had and your perceptions of what happened. The difference between an artist and the other is what we edit. 
"The fact that we all suffer from the day we’re born to the day that we expire…is funny."  What part should humor play in the discussion of religion and mortality? I think that humor is a way for people to deflect attention or uncomfortableness with what is in front of them, this includes the things we choose to have in front of us. 

Questions about my work in relationship to the reading and movie:
Is it ultimately futile for me to investigate an experience I may never consciously take part of? No, consciously or unconsciously, the inevitability of death is something we will all face, trying to understand that process is sometime that gives meaning to life. 
Is my pursuit of personal meaning through the creation of art absurd in relation to my perception of the meaninglessness of the universe? I don't think that the universe is meaningless. 
If I was to die and "become my past" as explained by Sartre, how would my artwork play a role in that process?  Would my work become the past as well?  Is it possible for my artwork to stay part of the present after I die?
Am I qualified to explore death in my work?  Does one have to be personally touched by death to be able to explore it in their work? As long as your work is viewed, it is part of the present, it is relevant to the present conversation. I think that being personally affected by death would give more of an understanding as to why you are exploring it in your work, but I don't think that adds to your qualifications, and if it did, then you really wouldn't be qualified until after you are dead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment