Monday, February 21, 2011

Shane's article

Shane Murphy

here is the reading

and as a supplemental reading

I would personally like the conversation to revolve around the eHow article and it's broader context.

The questions I have are thus;

1) Do you agree that this is all conceptual art is? No, I think that this format for making art is ridiculous and that is supported by not only the author's credentials or lack there of. 
2) How does the fact that there is a eHow on making conceptual art affect your ideas of art? It doesn't affect my ideas on making art, but it does reaffirm my ideas on the education levels of the general american public. 
3) Is there a difference between this and the old Bob Ross painting shows? Bob Ross' show was about making a painting, generally landscape, in a stylized representational way, I wouldn't consider what he was doing conceptual art. 
4) Can High Art survive in the modern world? It obviously already has. But that really comes up in the art market, where value is placed. Do you mean, high art surviving in a literal or ideal sense? 

And for my own work.

1) My work is firmly entrenched in conceptual art norms, what forms of postmodern art has the internet made irrelevant, or are there any? The way that I understand post modern art is that it is relying on a universal and global audience, so postmodern art is reinforced by the internet not made irrelevant. 
2) I feel my work attempts to make the intangible not just tangible but accessible, is there a point where accessibility tips to eHow? I don't agree that your work is making the intangible accessible or tangible. I don't think that you have done enough research to have a philosophical ideal or exploration of your self a fully accessible or universally understandable or supported process.  At this point in your work, I think it is fully appropriate for you to compare the accessibility of your work to the way an eHow article functions due to the fact that neither are supported by scholarly exploration or understanding. 
3) My concept of self dissection and betterment strives to be deep, dangerous, and relevant.  Is there more to "good" conceptual art than the strength of the concept? Yes, a successful understanding of materials, craft, devotion and talent is need to make work successful. Good ideas are great but become nothing if you can not get the idea across due to a lacking of the afore mentioned. 
4) Do you feel there is a difference between my work and something someone would make after reading this eHow? Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment