http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/
Supplimental reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
http://www.urbandictionary.
1. How would you feel and what would you do if your performance piece became an internet meme? Oh god, I would try to put out work that i felt gives a better representation of me, but I also am careful about what I put "out there".
2. People have created re-mixes of this performance, as well as images--most if not all a parody of this piece. As you view this article, do those images change how you regard the initial experience of the performance? Do they inform the work, or do they dismantle it? I think they inform more about the viewer than the initial performer. I think how some people spend , or rather throw away, their time and what they find important puts a bad taste in my mouth.
3. If you just witnessed a performance piece that you do not understand or do not enjoy, would you applaud? Does the level of guts it takes to do a performance {like doing anything of a socially unacceptable nature} play into it? If so, why should it? I would have to be really bad for me not to applaud, I think that it is polite to applaud, but I am not always polite.
4. So! Apparently you're a hipster! Are you going to try and prove them wrong or will you resign to the definition this anonymous society has given you? At this point, I am not interested in what society or peers define me as, I am more interested in how i am defining myself, this will probably have adjustments in the future, especially when/if critics write about me/my work.
5. Does this make you any more or less apprehensive about putting your work online? I don't like to put my work on facebook or even really on blogs, we are required to for this class, which bothers me because anyone can pull an image of mine off the site. It is harder to do when it is on my website because of the (c).
6. Can an artist recover his or her respect from this kind of publicity with time? Do you think it matters in the art world? The art world changes with the seasons, some people wait until late December to buy a winter coat.
7. Do I seem to be consciously careful not to gain that sort of attention from the audience that views my work? I think you avoid it to an extent but I also think that the quality of your work is what will ultimately dictate that, not where it is viewed.
8. What does my choice of this article tell you about me or my work? I think that you take your work very seriously, I think that you are in no means a film maker but a maker of art, do you have everything figured out yet? No, but if any of us did, we wouldn't need to be here.
No comments:
Post a Comment